TIG welding is a versatile approach for producing fine-looking welds. It was once thought to be one of the most difficult welding techniques to master. But due to advancement in welding technology it has made TIG welding more accessible for home welders than ever before. If you’re considering purchasing a home TIG welder, knowing the basics of TIG welding will help you make a better decision.
Top Rated TIG Welders for Home Use
Here are the best TIG welders you can use at your home and repair on your own but with caution.
1. Lincoln Electric Precision TIG 225 Welder
Lincoln Electric’s Precision TIG 225 Welder is designed for smaller welding projects, such as repairing a mailbox, a watering hose, or a small-sized tool. Also have a look at the best Micro TIG Welders in the market.
This welder makes quick work of welding projects, thanks to the TIG 225’s quick change torch, durable aluminum-alloy torch body, and versatile wire feed capabilities. It is an excellent machine for home use.
This welder will run all day with selectable amperage from 5 to 230 with a 100 percent duty cycle. You can purchase just the welder with torch and gas supply or a combo offer that includes a pedal to control the amperage during welding. It also has the capability of stick welding.
- The Lincoln Electric 225 TIG Welder Pro is the perfect choice for anyone needing a welder for light-duty applications.
- It has a large dial control with easily readable numbers, giving you precise control
- The 225 Welder Pro is compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry around on the job.
- It has dual output settings, allowing you to switch your welding output between 0.7 amps and 1.8 amps to meet your needs.
- It offers features that most home welders don’t require.
2. Hitbox TIG Welder 200A Dual Volt Inverter TIG Welder
Welding is a skill that not everyone has, but if you have the skills, it can be a valuable asset. For beginners, the Hitbox TIG Welder 200A Dual Volt Inverter TIG Welder can help get you started.
This welder is easy to use, and you can use it to weld aluminium and stainless steel, as well as base metals like iron and cast iron. It has a duty cycle of 60% and can deliver up to 200 amps. It has a torch, as well as a gas flow gauge and valve. This is a top of the line inverter-multi-process welder in a compact package.
This is great news for the welder who doesn’t want to carry a lot of heavy equipment to the jobsite, but wants to be sure they have enough power to get the job done.
- This welder is easy to use
- Lightweight, and has a powerful torch.
- It has enough power to weld 2-inch thick steel.
- It comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- Accepts 110V and 220V inputs
- This is a TIG-only machine. With this welder, no further welding procedures are possible.
- AC welding is not an option; the ability to handle aluminium is limited.
3. Miller Multimatic 215 Multiprocess Welder with TIG Kit
The Miller Multimatic 215 Multiprocess Welder with TIG Kit is an extremely versatile welding machine that is perfect for anyone in the automotive, marine, or construction industries. It has a 1.5-horsepower Millermatic 200E engine coupled with a 115-amp variable-speed transformer.
It features a single-button operation for simple starting, a 1,300-ampere duty cycle, and a metal feed with magnetic drive. The 215 is a great choice for welding mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and cast iron.
This welder comes with a TIG torch, spool gun, foot pedal, connecting cable, and power cable. It can handle up to 215 amps, with a duty cycle of 20% at 190 amps and 40% at 140 amps.
- This welder is suitable for light work, such as working with thin metals.
- Flexibility. Right out of the box, the Miller 215 can TIG, MIG, and stick weld.
- It’s easy to use.
- It can run on both 110 and 220 volts.
- Limited capabilities, settings are pre-programmed; it can’t handle all sorts of sticks.
4. Mophorn 200 Amp TIG / Stick Welder
The Mophorn 200 amp tig/stick welder is a powerful and compact unit that is ideal for hobby welding and fabrication. The unit is tig capable (including stick welding) and has the ability to select stick, tig, or flux core for welds. With dual voltage capability, it welds with 120V and 230V electricity, and even features a TIG torch for ultra-smooth welds on stainless steel, copper and other low- to high-melt metals.
It also features a dual voltage AC / DC power supply and a TIG torch (no gas needed!) for easy operation and TIG welding. Check out the detailed difference between AC and DC welding.
- The welder features 200 Amps of welding power with TIG torch, Stick torch, wire feeder and plasma cutter capabilities.
- The welder weighs 21-pounds and can weld up to 1/8 inch thick aluminum, 9/16 inch steel pipe and 1/4 inch mild steel.
- Its compact design is perfect for tight spaces.
- It’s easy to use and carry.
- The 200 Amp welding output gives you plenty of power for projects, and this welder is the perfect tool for both beginners and seasoned welders.
- It doesn’t come with an argon regulator, you’ll have to go out and buy one before you can TIG weld.
- It can run on 220V power; however it doesn’t come with a connector or adaptor for that voltage.
5. Lotos LTPDC2000D 3 in 1 Combo Welder
The LOTOS LTPDC2000D 3 in 1 Combo Welder is one of the best welders out there, and it’s one of the best welders you can get at a low price. With a 120V/240V AC/DC input, you can weld up to 1/8” steel, and you can also use this welder for mild steel.
Typically, 3 in 1 welders like this run about $400 and up, but you can get the LOTOS LTPDC2000D 3 in 1 Combo Welder on Amazon for $280. For this low price, it comes with a 240V single phase, 13 amp plug, 3/8” hose and foot pedal, 200A flux core wire spool, 3/8” and 1/4” Dual Voltage tip set
- The Lotos LTPDC2000D 3 in 1 Combo Welder is a great choice if you’re looking for an affordable, portable, and versatile welder.
- This popular unit features a compact design, long welding output
- Variety of safety features
- Dual-voltage design.
- Although 110V is compatible, there is no 110V plug included.
- Some people claim that the product has a short lifespan.
6. MTS-205 MIG/TIG-Torch/Stick Arc Combo Welder
The MIG-205 is a powerful, versatile, and easy-to-use welder. The MIG-205 has been designed for ease of use with a compact and lightweight design, allowing operators to work all day comfortably. The MIG-205 is a versatile welder, capable of welding carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminium, copper, brass, bronze, and magnesium.
This 205-amp combo welder is a true all-rounder. This welder is a dependable workhorse, with a maximum output of 205 amps and a 60 percent duty cycle.
- It’s extremely versatile, and it has a lot more power than most other TIG welders in its class.
- It Can TIG weld DC and AC, so you can TIG weld aluminium without any difficulty
- Capable to handle steel, cast iron, copper, and aluminium
- Its portable
- TIG requires a scratch start rather than the more convenient high-frequency start.
- For convenience no pedal for easy TIG amperage control
7. Hobart 500551 EZ-TIG
The Hobart 500551 EZ TIG is a portable TIG Welding machine, which makes it possible to weld copper, aluminum, brass, stainless steel and other metals.
It is rated at 12 amps, and weighs 8.2 pounds. It also includes five spool clamps, a marking lamp, two wire spools, a carry bag, and a carrying handle. It has a 20 percent duty cycle and can handle up to 165 amps.
It includes all of the necessary TIG welding equipment, including a pedal. The controls have been designed to be simple to operate. You set a switch to the metal type and a dial to the thickness instead of dialling in amperage, and the machine is ready to weld.
- Fully equipped welding machine.
- Not as adaptable as machines that are less expensive.
- It’s not a machine for thick material or heavy use because of the low amperage and duty cycle.
8. Lotos CT520D 50 AMP Air Plasma Cutter, 200 AMP Tig – Multiple Processes Lotos TIG Welder
The Lotos CT520D 50 AMP Air Plasma Cutter, 200 AMP Tig – Multiple Processes Lotos TIG Welder is a high performance, versatile, and compact TIG welder great for complex weld projects.
The Lotos CT520D 50 AMP Air Plasma Cutter, 200 AMP Tig – Multiple Processes Lotos TIG Welder features an auto tracking arc, hand shielding, and user-friendly controls. This machine may be used as both a 110v TIG and a 200v TIG welder.
It is a three-in-one plasma cutter and TIG welder that weighs about 32 pounds. This feature makes it suitable for use in a variety of settings. It can cut 12 inch thick mild steel, alloy steel, aluminium, copper, and stainless steel. The Lotos provides enough electricity for your needs at 50A.
- Offers several features including easy-to-view torch
- Multi-process capability
- Onboard power control.
- You have to buy external air compressor
9. The Amico TIG Welder 160 Amp – Easily Portable Dual Voltage Stick and TIG platform
The Amico TIG Welder 160 Amp – Easily Portable Dual Voltage Stick and TIG platform is versatile, offers easy portability, and can handle tough tasks. The Dual Voltage system allows you to use this TIG Welder in Stick mode with 115 volts, or in TIG mode with 240 volts.
The TIG Welder is also equipped with a 4-position metal shield and a 40-amp constant current source, which allows it to handle even the toughest welding jobs. The Amico TIG Welder 160 Amp – Easily Portable Dual Voltage Stick and TIG platform has a dual voltage power supply with a unique Amico low voltage indicator light, which will show you exactly how low the voltage is.
- The Amico TIG Welder is a portable welding machine that was built to be easy to use and versatile.
- The TIG welder comes equipped to work with both types of electrodes.
- It’s perfect for metal fabrication, automotive, and home projects, and the TIG welder can be carried anywhere you go thanks to its portable design.
- There is no foot pedal supplied.
- It is not suitable for non ferrous metals
10. Primeweld CT520D – 50 Amps Lightweight and Compact Plasma Cutter
Welding is all about precision and accuracy; from creating works of art to fixing cars, every piece requires a high degree of accuracy. But, it’s also about safety. Working on large projects requires a lot of power, and welders need reliable, powerful, and portable cutting equipment.
The Primeweld CT520D cuts through mild steel with ease, and is durable enough to last you for a lifetime of projects. Plus, it has great safety features, including a 30% duty cycle, and 8-second cutting time, so you’ll always stay safe.
- The Primeweld CT520D is an electric plasma cutter that weighs only 5.3 pounds.
- It has built-in tungsten electrode and clamps, safety shield and heavy-duty cast iron table
- It has 2-year warranty
- Lightweight but powerful plasma cutter, you can use wherever and whenever you want.
- It might be difficult for beginners to set it up
- There is no pilot arc included. As a result, automation is challenging.
11. Razorweld Digital TIG 200 Amp AC/DC
The Razorweld Digital TIG 200 Amp AC/DC TIG welder is one of their best selling products. It’s well built, easy to set up, and extremely easy to use. It is an excellent welder for general purpose use and can be easily used for fabrication, repairs, and restorations.
Its small footprint and lightweight design make it easy to carry and set it up wherever it is needed. The welder works on both 115 and 230 volts and has a duty cycle of 35% at 200 amps. By pressing the switch on the torch, the high-frequency ignition provides pre-gas and instantaneous Arc ignition.
- Ignition at a high frequency
- Pulse modulation (feature that allows you to change the rate of your pulse).
- Capability to start quickly
- 115/230V dual voltage
12. Miller Dynasty 200 SD, 120-480VAC TIG Welder
It’s a multi-purpose machine with TIG and Stick welding capabilities. The machine is portable, making it easy to weld in a variety of places, and it has a TIG welding torch with a 0.7-3.0 mm DC arc.
The Miller Dynasty 200 SD has a splash guard for TIG welding, a 3.0 amp DC inverter, 2.5 amps of welding power, and 60 amps of current. This machine is ideal for welding and cutting aluminium, steel and stainless steel. The Dynasty 200 welder is not light, weighing in at 47 pounds, but it delivers unmatched performance and durability.
- Comprises of TIG (AC/DC) and Stick welding capabilities
- It comes with 5 Year warranty
- Complicated controls
13. Forney 322 140-Amp TIG Welder
Power up your welding skills and improve projects with this 110V/220V Forney 322 140 Amp TIG Welder. The 1,400 Amps of power delivers plenty of welding power to handle a variety of metals, and the single-arc design reduces spatter.
The 3/8-inch single stick electrode holder works with any Forney stick welding kit, and the 3/4-inch gun shaft accepts both 3/8-inch and 1/2-inch wire. The 14-inch foot pedal extends the reach so you can easily weld from Length to Width positions. The welded metal body is durable, and the dual voltage lets you perform welding tasks anywhere.
- Great for beginners
- It’s a multi-processor welder
- The TIG torch and foot pedal must be purchased separately.
14. Alpha-TIG200X-2018 – 110V/220V
The Alpha-TIG200X-2018 is an exceptional welder that has the ability to handle jobs from light to heavy and from aluminium to a range of other metals. If you are just getting into welding, then it is a great option. It is simple to set up and use, and it comes with all the accessories you need to get started. This model from Alpha features dual voltage capability, supporting both 110 and 220 volts, making it suitable for use in a variety of locations.
- Ability to work with two voltages
- Stick functionality allows for a wide range of welding possibilities.
- Operation is simple.
- In effective for thick-gauges
What other materials, apart from aluminum, can a TIG welder work with?
A TIG welder can work with a variety of metal types, including stainless steel, mild steel, aluminium, and other metals.
What is the best use of TIG welding?
TIG welding (also known as tungsten inert gas welding) is a welding method that produces a high-quality weld. It is a higher process than MIG welding and can produce a weld that is as strong as the base material. TIG welding is often used for welding stainless steel and aluminum, but is also used for welding other metals such as iron and magnesium. TIG can be used to weld thin metals. TIG can also be used to weld sheet metal parts for automobiles and motorcycles.